This RWA Thing

February 3, 2012

Note: MTM will no longer accept same-sex entries in any category.
-More Than Magic contest rules, Romance Writers Ink Chapter of RWA


I'm not commenting/just directing attention to this because:

1. What the actual fuck?
2. I'm not an RWA member, let alone anywhere near this chapter.
3. This sort of thing is WHY I'm not an RWA member. Which sucks because I'm pretty sure it'd be awesome for me, but I'm kind of a stubborn dick about matters of principle. Therefore, I am losing out, and that makes me a sad panda.
4. I think the RWA members fighting to get things like this sorted are badasses.

So if you're wondering what's up with that WTFery, both within the larger scheme and on its own, please check out these excellent posts by Kari Gregg and Heidi Cullinan.

(Bonus points for bi shout-out go to Heidi. Word.)

ETA: Epic Stephani Hecht post, too.

ETA2: Author Sara York started a petition to send the RWA to ask them to address the issue. Woohoo!

Okay, next time I'll be sunshine and roses, promise. There's a bunch of fun stuff coming up, including rock star love and, yes, a Valentine's Day contest. OF COURSE. Love is what we do around here. Whateverlove, baby.
Beatrice said...

Oh hey. I was trying to be a ninja and was initially gonna go look at the progress on Nobody's Hero.

And then I stumbled upon this. No matter that I'm not a member of the GLBT author/reader group anymore and that I've been reading nothing but mainstream books these days - this is still a big blow.

Sigh. Learning about this development just punched my productivity and made me anxious. Again. For the third time in five days. I'll sign the petition as soon as I get rid of the people breathing down my neck.

Normally I'd rant and whine at the unfairness of it all, but frankly I'm just tired and annoyed beyond my wits at this one.

Katey said...

Yeah, it's disappointing for sure, and indicative of a larger, ongoing problem. I looked into joining up after my first contract and heard about past issues of this kind... and didn't. Let's hope this is the kick in the pants they need to make things right.

Miss you <3

Latest Instagrams

© Katey Hawthorne's. Design by FCD.