Equilibrium Mixed Tape , part 1

August 25, 2011

So I'm one of those people who can't write a book without music blaring. I know that distracts the hell out of some people, but I'm at once incredibly focused and a little bit mad when I write -- perhaps why I tend to write a lot of pulp, as it makes me feel at home in that way. Anyhow, as a result of this practice, I end up with playlists in iTunes for everything. While I'm writing or editing a given project, the list goes everywhere with me. It plays at my desk, the headphones go into the iPhone for grocery shopping, it plugs into my truck for driving.

It's like athletes who have songs they have to listen to that get them into the zone on the sidelines. Only, uh, dorkier.

So with EQUILIBRIUM, my awesome editor Raven suggested we do a playlist in the back of the book, just for fun. How convenient that I had it ready, complete with picks by both Hansen and Sam! Of course, let's do it. So in the back of your book you'll see a little section labeled "Equilibrium Mixed Tape". Because yeah, when I was a kid, we made mixed tapes, dammit.

Just for fun, I thought I'd drop a couple of them here in blog posts. This one is a Hansen Band, Arctic Monkeys. Sometimes the bands/artists that work for given characters or stories aren't really my favorites (sometimes I end up liking things I didn't originally because of a character or story, even), but I genuinely adore the AMs. Just saw them live here in DC a few months back, and it was killer.

So here we go, a Hansen Pick from the Equilibrium Mixed Tape: "Temptation Greets You Like Your Naughty Friend"



... it should pretty much be his theme song, I'm thinking.

Latest Instagrams

© Katey Hawthorne's. Design by FCD.